Sunday, April 15, 2007

Brian: Hawaii, Day 6

Our last day in Hawaii. Paradise Lost comes to mind. But adventure awaits us in Japan! We are sure to be the most confused and disorganized travelers in the history of the Japanese tourist industry. Well, before then, the day's news.

We went bright and early to Hanauma Bay. Michael didn't come because he was doing a programming assignment. It was pretty much the same as the last time we were there, except that I am a lot better at snorkeling now. We went in for 2 snorkeling sessions. The second time I lent my flippers to Patrick's dad and snorkeled flipper-less. It was much more of a workout, for sure, but at the same time I was able to turn on the spot, which is almost impossible with fins. This is useful for those dead ends in the reef where you have to turn around and come out the way you came. I also dutifully worked on my tan for the last day I will spend in Hawaii. After a week I have only managed a dusty beige. I'm sure that will seem plenty dark when we get to Japan.

The fancy dinner at Roy's cost me the rest of my money... I have exactly $15 left in American dollars and 524,000 yen. We will see where I stand after one week in Japan. Because, of course, I was able to use my credit card while in Hawaii, while it's still somewhat rare in Japan.

Our plan, by the way, is thus: Michael and I have a flight at 9:50AM so we're leaving at 7 for the airport. Patrick's parents are making 2 trips because the luggage won't all fit. After we get to Japan, we will wait for Patrick in the arrival lobby. Then, we'll ship our luggage to the hotel in Kyoto and take an express shuttle to Tokyo with just a backpack each. We plan to hit up a manga cafe to relax and look up any necessary info on the internet, then stay the night in a cheap hotel or a capsule hotel. We've already made reservations at an inn for Tuesday and Wednesday night in the Ikebukuro district of Tokyo. I don't know when I'll get to post next, so this is Brian, over and out until I've arrived in Japan!

Hawaii Day 6

1 comment:

vlee1 said...

Wow, looks like you guys are having a lot of fun =). Snorkeling and Hawaii..this blog makes me wish I were studying abroad this quarter haha. Good luck in Japan!